Reporting to the Engineering Director, the Senior Project Engineer (SPE) is primarily responsible for the creation of innovative and commercially attractive designs for new products.
(Please note that in addition to these functions employees are required to carry out such other duties as may be reasonably be required)
- Generate new business in conjunction with the BNL Sales and Marketing department. SPEs are required to lead technical sales meetings.
- Create new product designs to achieve the required objectives and standards for both BNL and the customer to maximise the probability of success.
- Work directly with external customers and contractors – maintain and contribute to BNL’s professionalism and core values
- Ensure the successful realisation of BNL product into manufacture (concept to SOP).
- Good communication skills, including strong presentation skills for face to face meetings, phone and video conferencing. The SPE is expected to lead project group meetings with internal and external teams.
- Provide training, guidance and support to UK and Global Project Engineers.
- Culturally aware with a strong customer and quality focus.
- Domestic and international travel as required for regular Sales and Engineering joint customer meetings (standard 1 week as and when required or planned; 1 month max for any single period).
- Competence of plastic product design using 2D and 3D CAD software (preferably SolidWorks & PDM).
- Competence in the design of small mechanisms or similar.
- Competence in the design of production jigs and fixtures.
- Competence in designing for manufacture, assembly and for quality with skills in failure prevention. (A knowledge of Ansys FEA and Moldflow desirable).
- Practical experience of plastic part design.
- Practical experience of jig and fixture design.
- Practical experience of plastic injection moulding, tool design and material processing.
- Experience in both high volume and batch manufacturing in a technical plastic injection moulding environment.
- Financially astute with the ability to maximise profit through product and process design.
- Knowledge of rolling element bearings and their application.
- Experienced in assessing and managing risk to maximise project success.
- Robust approach to problem solving and project management.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 and TS16949 Product Realisation Process.
- HND or degree qualified in an engineering discipline, preferably mechanical engineering with design.
- IT literate.
- Whilst this role does not have any direct reports, there is a requirement to coordinate tasks across multiple roles. As such, there is a requirement to be an effective leader, positive (can-do) manager, coach and facilitator with a personable but confident interpersonal style.
- High level of customer contact contributing to the planning an admin for assigned project in conjunction with the customer and BNL project management teams.
- Joint project responsibility with the BNL Sales team personnel for assigned projects from cradle to grave.
- Demonstrate effective time management for active roles in multiple projects.
- Exposure to customer contact ranging from design teams to CEO’s, requiring an ability to communicate and manage the expectation at each level (with the backup of the BNL project and senior management teams).
- Demonstrate commercial awareness during live projects in relation to customer requirements and long-term company goals.
If you would like to apply for this vacancy or would like to know more about the role, please contact us on:
email@example.com | 01423 799200